We’re hitting that point in the legislative session where there’s a lot of behind the scenes work and conversations with legislators… and patience. We’re working to line things up to see action on the issues you care about (and we’re working to make sure things like the pyrolysis bill don’t go anywhere). Our team is working hard this week to make lobby day a success. There is still time to register!
What’s Happening This Week:
The Senate Judiciary Subcommittee working on Santee Cooper is meeting again this week and next week to work on a path forward. As we work with Senators to get clean energy outcomes for South Carolina, please help us by taking action: Contact your Senator about a clean energy future for Santee Cooper.
Virtual Lobby Week 2021
Beginning on Monday, March 15th, the SC Conservation Coalition, a statewide alliance of over 35 different conservation organizations, will host a virtual version of its annual Lobby Day. As we finalize times for our webinars with legislators, we’ll keep registrants updated on the schedule, so please make sure you’re registered. We have several opportunities for you to engage with legislators next week:
- Daily in the mornings - We’ll provide you a social media toolkit, digital actions, and call scripts on hot-topics for the day to use in your virtual lobbying efforts.
- Monday, March 15th at noon - Advocacy Training with your CVSC lobby team and Representative Bobby Cox. We’ll record this training, so you can watch it live or later to make sure you’re prepared to talk to your legislators.
- Tuesday, March 16th (time TBD) - A deep-dive webinar on PFAS, featuring lobbyists working on this issue and Representatives Adam Morgan and JA Moore leading the way at the Capitol. PFAS are a group of highly toxic, man-made chemicals that have been manufactured and used for decades in waterproof, stain resistant, and non-stick products, as well as firefighting foam across the country. Join us and learn how you can support legislation to establish drinking water limits for these dangerous chemicals.
- Wednesday, March 17th (time TBD) - Another deep-dive webinar on Pyrolysis (Exemptions for Melting Plastics), featuring lobbyists and Senator Sandy Senn. Pyrolysis is the super-heating of plastics or other waste products in order to break them down into petroleum products. “Big Chemical” is seeking exemptions to important solid waste rules for these facilities, which could leave state taxpayers on the hook for contaminated sites if a facility closes or experiences solid waste disasters like we’ve seen in recent years. Join us and learn how you can help oppose this dangerous bill.
- Thursday, March 18 (5:30pm) - Lobby Week Wine Down. Tune in with your favorite snacks and beverage to wind down after a long week of virtual lobbying on conservation issues. We’ll have a short happy hour from 5:30-6pm to recap the high points of the week and share stories of our experiences, from this year and years past!
Protect the Future of Conservation and Join Us
In the last 12 months, we have witnessed the devastating health implications of living in communities polluted by unchecked industry. We have re-discovered the need for public access to nature for our mental and physical well-being. And, we have been reaffirmed in our belief that every South Carolinian has the right to a clean and healthy environment.
There is so much on the line in 2021 and we need your help to protect the future of conservation in S.C.
I’ve promised the team that I’d help us meet an ambitious goal to recruit 100 new members this month. Will you join us by making a gift of $5, $10, $15 or more today and to help stop environmental rollbacks that put public health and the environment at risk?
You can donate now!
Here is a direct link to make your gift today: https://secure.
Check Out Our Action Center
- Stop Special Exemptions For Melting Plastics Industry: Big plastic and chemical companies are lobbying for special treatment to melt plastic waste in South Carolina. Send a message to your Senator today to stop S.525!
- Clean Drinking Water: PFAS - toxic ‘forever chemicals’ – have been found in the drinking water of our communities across the state. Encourage your legislators to protect your drinking water from toxic chemicals!
Again, we can’t do this work without you. I look forward to seeing you at lobby week!