The SC Conservation Coalition, a coalition of about 40 environmental organizations, launched a free webinar series in March of 2020 that gives citizens an opportunity to learn more about environmental policy topics from advocates, experts, and policymakers. Focusing on Coalition priorities and issues that affect the air, land, and water of South Carolina, these webinars will give a little background on the science and the policy, talk about the lessons we’ve learned over the last few years working on these issues, and then open it up for questions and answers from interested citizens. This schedule is below and subject to change.
- March 26 (2:30pm) – What’s Up with Offshore Drilling? Watch the webinar recording here.
- March 31 (12pm) – Santee Cooper: Committing to Clean Energy Watch the webinar recording here.
- April 9 (4:30 pm) – Implementation of the Energy Freedom Act Watch the webinar recording here.
- April 14 (11:30 am) – Protecting the Landscapes We Love Watch the webinar recording here.
- April 21 (12:30 pm) - Climate & Solar: Ask the Experts! (hosted by CVSC) Watch the webinar recording here.
- April 29 (12:00 pm) – Advocacy 101 Watch the webinar recording here. There was a technical error on the video recording, but the audio was not affected. Click here if you’d like to download the presentation slides.
- May 7 (12:30 pm) - Talking Trash: Commercial Composting and Solid Waste Policy in South Carolina Watch the recording here.
- May 12 (12:30 pm) – Runoff and Rain Gardens Watch the recording here.
- May 14 (2:30 pm) – Shoreline Issues: Past, Present and Future Watch the recording here.
- May 19 (12:30 pm) - Will South Carolina have enough water in 20 years? Update on South Carolina’s New State Water Plan Watch the recording here
- June 10 (12:30 pm) - Wildlife Trafficking in South Carolina: Why we need the “Turtle Bill” Watch the recording here.
- June 17 (12:30 pm) - What’s Washington DC Doing to SC Water? Watch the recording here
- June 29 (11:00 am) – Celebrating the Great Outdoors in the Lowcountry with Congressman Cunningham (hosted by CVSC and the SC Aquarium) Watch the recording here
- August 18 (12:30 pm) – Safe Voting in the time of COVID (We’ll be joined by Representative Gary Clary, Senator Mia McLeod, and Lynn Teague with the League of Women Voters) Watch the recording here.
- Sept 10 (12:00 pm) – The Value of Solar in South Carolina: highlighting reports commissioned by Audubon SC and Southern Alliance for Clean Energy Watch the recording here
As a part of our efforts to find new ways to reach people in South Carolina who care about conservation, the Coalition also started a podcast. Co-Hosted by Rebecca Haynes (CVSC) and Alan Hancock (Coastal Conservation League); the Podcast is called Public Concern, after Article 12 of the South Carolina Constitution, which says: “The health, welfare, and safety of the lives and property of the people of this State and the conservation of its natural resources are matters of public concern.” New shows come out every Friday afternoon, and you can find us in your favorite podcast app, and on http://publicconcernpodcast.org/. You can also follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PublicConcernPodcast and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/PubConcernPod.