Communications Internship Program
Conservation Voters of South Carolina (CVSC) strives to make conservation and environmental issues a top priority among South Carolina’s elected leaders, political candidates, and voters. CVSC is the only statewide conservation organization in South Carolina that fights for our air, land and water and renewable energy through political action. We are bipartisan, pragmatic and effective.
CVSC is unique from other conservation organizations by our ability to make endorsements, contribute to candidate campaigns and communicate directly with voters about the need to elect the best conservation candidate in their district. In addition to working to elect green candidates, Conservation Voters works throughout the Legislative Session to educate elected leaders and the public, and to promote legislation that protects our natural heritage and our special way of life.
What: CVSC offers an unpaid internship within the communications department, focusing heavily on digital communications. All internships provide relevant, hands-on experience; and a one-on-one relationship with a professional mentor.
The Communications Intern will report to the Communications Director. This intern will assist with performing tasks including, but not limited to, the following:
• Drafting, reviewing and editing written materials, including social media posts, emails to activists, citizen action alerts, donor letters, press releases, op-eds and letters to the editor.
• Assisting the Communications Director with projects and strategic initiatives, as needed.
• Developing digital/social strategy, tactical planning and measurement.
• Managing media calendar and working with reporters.
• Segmenting email lists and building out automated messages and campaigns.
• Monitoring the performance of digital communication activities.
Who: The following requirements apply to all communications interns:
• A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
• Exceptional writing skills
• Ability to work on location at CVSC offices in Columbia, SC and provide own laptop
• Willingness to learn web-based applications including WordPress, CoSchedule, Phone2Action, EveryAction, etc.
• Marketing, Communications, PR, Journalism, Advertising or similar major
It is preferred that the Communications Intern have the following qualifications:
• Proficiency in digital and social media
• Experience working in an office setting with an ability to work independently and as a team toward achieving organizational goals
• A working understanding of design standards and internet best practices
• Solid public policy and/or research skills
When: Interns work can work 10-30 hours per week (to be established between the intern and staff). Interns may be expected to work evening or weekend hours. CVSC is flexible regarding the internship start/end dates.
How: Please provide the following materials:
• Cover letter addressed to Adam F. Naughton, Communications Director, at [email protected]
• Unofficial Transcript
• Relevant writing samples