Conservation Voters of South Carolina is the political voice of South Carolina’s environmental community. CVSC is a bipartisan, non-profit organization that, along with its sister organization the CVSC PAC, passes laws that protect our environment, elects pro-conservation candidates, and holds elected officials accountable. The CVSC Education Fund also works to educate and engage South Carolinians “to protect the South Carolina we love.” We effectively fight for our air, land, and water through bipartisan and pragmatic political action.
Scope of Position: CVSC seeks a highly motivated person with experience in communications, environmental policy, and advocacy to effectively communicate legislative and policy activities to targeted audiences that include legislators and CVSC supporters. The right candidate will be a self-starter with excellent written and oral communications skills, demonstrated experience communicating detailed thoughts in a clear and concise manner, have a strong belief in and passion for the mission of CVSC, and will be a team player with a good sense of humor and strong work ethic.
The Associate will serve on the Government Relations team for the organization, working in concert with the Deputy Director to assist with the development of advocacy goals, lobby for specific policy solutions to achieve these goals, and coordinate advocacy activities with legislators and voters. The position will support the accountability work for the organization – developing our biennial scorecard as well as implement plans for ongoing communication regarding legislators’ voting records. The Legislative Communications Associate will represent CVSC within the Statehouse and in public settings, working with program staff to drive constituent contacts in the legislative process.
The position reports to the Deputy Director and coordinates with Campaigns and Statewide Field Directors.
The Legislative Communications Associate is also expected to perform other duties as needed in accordance with the successful operation of a non-profit organization.
A PDF of this job posting can be found here.
Location: Work is based in Columbia, however occasional day and overnight travel will be required.
The Legislative Communications Associate is a full-time position devoted to communications and lobbying with responsibilities including:
- Responsible for communicating legislative strategy and action opportunities to CVSC staff, external supporters, and partners in collaboration with Campaigns and Statewide Field Directors
- Clearly and regularly communicating SC legislative happenings to CVSC staff and supporters through publication of CVSC’s weekly “Conservation Legislative Hotlist” blog
- Drafting and distributing emails and social media updates to CVSC’s email subscribers and social followers highlighting legislative developments.
- Developing and coordinating legislative messaging with the Deputy Director and Campaigns Directors, partner lobbyists, and Coalition partners
- Developing the content and infrastructure for digital advocacy elements of campaigns in order to allow the CVSC team to drive grassroots action around state legislative issues (relying primarily on CVSC’s Phone2Action platform).
- Tracking, monitoring, and analyzing legislation, attending hearings, workgroups, and other meetings.
- Registers as a lobbyist as part of the organization’s Government Relations team to implement strategies to influence policy and decision-making in favor of CVSC’s conservation goals.
- Assisting with accountability programs, including the biennial Conservation Scorecard and any legislation-specific accountability efforts to educate citizens on the records of legislators.
- Event coordination planning, assistance, and participation which may include evening and weekend work.
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- A commitment to clean air, land, and water and pollution free communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, political science, environmental policy, or other relevant field and two or more years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong presentation and communication skills are a MUST- as well as organizational skills and the ability to follow up and meet deadlines
- Experience working within and building diverse coalitions to accomplish shared goals.
- Experience working in politics or campaigns.
- Proven ability to work well within a team, and with individuals, both internal and external, from diverse backgrounds.
- Proficiency and substantial experience with standard office productivity software and equipment
- Attention to detail and to confidentiality requirements
- Having strong organizational skills; being deadline-oriented and resourceful
- Comfortable in busy office setting and working in shared office space with coworkers
- Ability to read, process, and synthesize printed materials on paper or standard computer screen
- Ability to communicate detailed thoughts in a clear and concise manner in person and over the telephone
This is a leanly-staffed, fast-paced organization whose staff has enthusiasm for the mission and tasks of CVSC. We are seeking another effective, productive, enjoyable and highly ethical member of the team who will take responsibility and leadership for implementing assigned tasks.
Terms of employment
The position is full-time, contingent on continued funding (grants and individual donations). This includes a 40-hour workweek with the need for flexible scheduling, depending on the nature of an issue or timeframe. Occasional out of town travel will be required. CVSC is an equal opportunity employer.
CVSC offers a competitive non-profit sector salary for this position in the $42,500 – $47,500 range, depending on qualifications. CVSC also offers a robust benefits package that includes full health, vision, dental, and disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous vacation and holiday schedule.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses how your expertise matches the job description and why you want to work to protect the air, land, and water of South Carolina to firstname.lastname@example.org with Legislative Communications Associate in the subject line. The position will remain open until filled.