Conservation Voters of South Carolina is the political voice of South Carolina’s environmental community. CVSC is a bipartisan, non-profit organization that, along with its sister organization the CVSC PAC, passes laws that protect our environment, elects pro-conservation candidates, and holds elected officials accountable. The CVSC Education Fund also works to educate and engage South Carolinians “to protect the South Carolina we love.” We effectively fight for our air, land, and water through bipartisan and pragmatic political action.
A PDF of this job posting can be found here.
Scope of Position: CVSC seeks a highly motivated person with experience in communications, environmental policy, and advocacy for a project management position focused on land, water, and ocean policy. The position will oversee various campaigns that include increasing land protection tools and funding, protecting water quality and quantity in SC waterways, preventing offshore drilling and plastic pollution, and promoting sustainable fisheries. The right candidate will be a self-starter with excellent written and oral communications skills, demonstrated experience initiating projects and advancing them successfully, have a strong belief in and passion for the mission of CVSC, and will be a team player with a good sense of humor and strong work ethic.
The position reports to the Campaigns Director and coordinates with the Deputy Director and the Statewide Field Director. The Project Manager is also expected to perform other duties as needed in accordance with the successful operation of a non-profit organization.
Location: Work is based in Columbia or Charleston, however occasional day and overnight travel will be required.
- Creates effective campaign plans to protect South Carolina’s land, water, and ocean resources through in-depth collaboration and coordination with policy experts, lobbyists, and grassroots organizers.
- Implements multi-pronged campaign plans and strategies focused on land, water, and ocean protection in collaboration with the Campaigns and Field Departments at CVSC.
- Serves as the primary policy resource at CVSC for land, water, and ocean protection topics, providing message guidance, talking points, factsheets, policy insights, and other necessary campaign materials to the various CVSC departments.
- Drafts letters to the editor and opinion editorials on land, water, and ocean issues to advance public awareness and influence decision-maker perspectives on key campaign issues.
- Clearly and consistently communicates the lay of the land, campaign status, and political considerations of land, water, and ocean initiatives to CVSC Campaigns and Field staff to ensure in-depth understanding of various activities.
- Completes policy and campaign briefings and trainings for CVSC staff around land, water, and ocean projects to ensure a consistent voice and framing of CVSC initiatives among all staff.
- May serve as registered lobbyist for CVSC in order to provide clear and consistent information to elected leaders.
- Has specialized expertise and specific focus on a broader set of communications responsibilities at the organization, including either media relations or digital communications strategies.
- Media relations includes developing and fostering working relationships with print, digital, radio, and television media staff and outlets to ensure CVSC has timely access to media when needed. Includes both pitching stories to media and providing official statements to the media
- Digital Communications includes designing and implementing digital campaigns and website updates to advance CVSC’s goals including organic digital posts, targeted ads on social channels, and non-social targeted ads. Also includes curating and creating social media content, managing the social media calendar, and coordinating across departments
Preferred skills and qualifications
- A commitment to clean air, land, and water and pollution free communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, political science, environmental policy, or other relevant field and two or more years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, as well as organizational skills and the ability to follow up and meet deadlines
- Experience in social media, marketing, media relations, and/or digital communications
- Experience working within and building diverse coalitions to accomplish shared goals.
- Experience working in politics or campaigns.
- Proven ability to work well within a team, and with individuals, both internal and external, from diverse backgrounds.
- Proficiency and substantial experience with standard office productivity software and equipment Attention to detail and to confidentiality requirements
- Having strong organizational skills; being deadline-oriented and resourceful
- Ability to read, process, and synthesize printed materials on paper or standard computer screen
- Ability to communicate detailed thoughts in a clear and concise manner in person and over the telephone
This is a leanly-staffed, fast-paced organization whose staff has enthusiasm for the mission and tasks of CVSC. We are seeking another effective, productive, enjoyable and highly ethical member of the team who will take responsibility and leadership for implementing assigned tasks.
Terms of employment
The position is full-time, contingent on continued funding (grants and individual donations). This includes a 40-hour workweek with the need for flexible scheduling, depending on the nature of an issue or timeframe. Occasional out of town travel will be required. CVSC is an equal opportunity employer.
CVSC offers a competitive non-profit sector salary for this position in the $42,500 – $47,500 range, depending on qualifications. CVSC also offers a robust benefits package that includes full health, vision, dental, and disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous vacation and holiday schedule.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses how your expertise matches the job description and why you want to work to protect the air, land, and water of South Carolina to email@example.com with Land, Water, and Ocean Project Manager in the subject line. The position will remain open until filled.