Work with us!
CVSC is building a grassroots conservation movement all across South Carolina to hold our leaders accountable, fight for clean energy, and protect our air, land, and water. It’s a big job, and we need passionate, smart, strategic, driven people to help us get it done.
Conservation Voters of South Carolina is the political voice of South Carolina’s environmental community. CVSC is a bipartisan, non-profit organization that, along with its sister organizations the CVSC Education Fund and the CVSC PAC, educates and engages South Carolinians to protect our environment, elect pro-conservation candidates, and hold elected officials accountable to protect the South Carolina we love. We fight for our air, land, and water through bipartisan and pragmatic political action.
Scope of Position: CVSC seeks a highly motivated person with a track record of delivering winning results on political, legislative, and/or electoral programs, plans, and campaigns through the design and implementation of coordinated field efforts. The right candidate will demonstrate a proven ability as a motivational team leader, a self-starter with excellent communications skills, and a project manager with experience initiating projects and advancing them successfully.
The Field Director is responsible for managing the day to day aspects of CVSC’s field efforts, including a team of full-time regional field directors, contract organizers, and volunteers. The successful candidate will effectively manage these groups, directing grassroots organizing and voter mobilization programs that will help advance conservation advocacy campaigns and elect strong conservation leaders to state elected offices. The Field Director reports to the Deputy Director and works closely with the Campaigns Director and other staff.
The Field Director manages assigned work in relevant campaign and program workplans and is also expected to perform other duties as assigned in accordance with the successful operation of a non-profit organization.
Location: Work is based in Columbia, SC, or Charleston, SC. However, occasional day and overnight travel will be required.
- Manage a team of regional field directors and grassroots organizers working to build a network of volunteers and supporters engaged in advocacy and political campaigns
- Provide oversight and management of paid and volunteer door canvass staff
- Work with regional field directors to develop work plans to achieve campaign and organizational goals
- Provide leadership as part of our core programs team
- Oversee supporter, action-taker, and voter targeting
- Coordinate closely with leaders from the Communications and Development teams to ensure symmetry in online, field, and donor cultivation strategies
- Coordinate closely with Campaigns Director in the development of long- and short-term policy and political campaign plans and strategies
- Work with policy experts and lobbyists to ensure issue campaign and electoral strategies and tactics align with policy and campaign goals
- Develop, track, and update field components of campaign workplans
- Measure the success of field efforts and designing cutting edge experiments and testing that refine CVSC’s tactics and strategies
- Implement campaigns plans with the Campaigns Director by overseeing grassroots organizers and volunteers and coordinating volunteer recruitment, volunteer meetings, canvassing, event planning, etc.
- Provide regular reports on metrics and progress of campaigns and grassroots organizing activities
- Manage campaign and advocate data flow across Development, Communications, Campaigns, Field, and Legislative functions of the organization
- Collaborate regularly with CVSC’s partners to align outreach efforts and campaign tactics.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experiences:
- Demonstrated success in designing and implementing field efforts that deliver winning results on political, legislative, and/or electoral programs, plans, and campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and utilize data to achieve strategic issue, electoral, and organizational goals
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team and independently
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to adjust strategies and workplans in real time
- Experience tracking and managing campaign or project budgets
- Experience managing staff with the ability to provide constructive feedback to staff members
- Experience phone and door canvassing
- Ability to provide motivational support for team members and volunteers while empowering others and developing leadership
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent listening and retention skills
The ideal candidate would have many of the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years in grassroots organizing and political / advocacy campaign experience
- Knowledge of South Carolina politics
- A deep commitment and passion for conservation issues and protecting the air, land, and water of South Carolina and belief that these should be priories among decision-makers
- Experience with the Votebuilder, VAN, EveryAction and affiliated databases
- Experience training and managing high-performing grassroots organizers
- Experience designing, maintaining and improving a goal-oriented accountability structure without compromising staff autonomy or innovation
- Ability and willingness to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends on occasion
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting frequent deadlines
- Ability to inspire action in others, lead by example, and instill purpose into daily campaign operations of the organization
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and solution-based approach in high pressure or difficult situations
- Willingness to engage in phone and door canvasses, volunteer recruitment, host volunteer meetings, plan campaign events, etc.
- Ability to adapt and adjust to changing circumstances quickly
This is a leanly-staffed, fast-paced organization whose staff has enthusiasm for the mission of CVSC. We are seeking another effective, productive, enjoyable and highly ethical member of the team who will take responsibility and leadership for implementing assigned tasks.
Terms of employment
The position is full-time, contingent on continued funding (grants and individual donations). This includes a 40-hour workweek with the need for flexible scheduling, depending on the nature of an issue or campaign. Occasional out of town travel will be required. CVSC is an equal opportunity employer.
CVSC offers a competitive non-profit sector salary, depending on qualifications, with vacation, retirement, and health and dental insurance benefits.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses how your expertise matches the job description and why you want to work to protect the air, land, and water of South Carolina to firstname.lastname@example.org with Field Director in the subject line. The position will remain open until filled.
Would you like to intern with CVSC?
We offer educational, unpaid internships in Government Relations, Political, Engagement, Development, and Communications. Please send your cover letter, resume, and availability to Rebecca Haynes, Deputy Director, at email@example.com with “internship” in the subject line.
CVSC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.