20 Years Strong
As 2023 comes to a close and we reflect on our achievements this year, we also look back on our journey over the past two decades. We’ve grown tremendously, achieving nearly all of our strategic plan milestones, building a bipartisan conservation majority in the SC House and Senate, and advancing major environmental policy in the General Assembly. We’ve hired experts, built our Government Relations, Partnerships, and Political teams, and invested in identifying, training, and supporting leaders and communities throughout the state on their journey into public service.
Throughout the years, the unwavering support of our partners, advocates, and donors has been the driving force behind these achievements, and as we celebrate this milestone, we are grateful for the incredible people who have stood by us.
In reflecting on this momentous anniversary, we are humbled by the positive impact we have collectively made on environmental policy in South Carolina. To commemorate this achievement, we reached out to some of our esteemed community members, whose words beautifully illustrate the spirit of our shared journey.
Here are a few inspiring words from individuals who have witnessed and contributed to CVSC’s success over the past 20 years:
- “As a board member of Conservation Voters of South Carolina, I am proud to have been a part of CVSC’s many accomplishments. For 20 years, CVSC has been at the forefront of South Carolina’s conservation movement, where we have successfully worked across political divides to protect and preserve the environment in our beautiful state. By promoting environmental legislation and providing environmental education, by building community relations and addressing social justice concerns, and by prioritizing climate and clean energy issues, CVSC has grown to symbolize resilience, resourcefulness, and a shared vision for South Carolina’s future.” – Susan Hilfer, CVSC Board Chair
- “South Carolina’s natural resources are second to none, and CVSC has been a tireless leader in promoting state policies that ensure the quality of our land, air, and water is preserved for current and future generations. Congratulations on two successful decades of environmental stewardship.” – Hamilton Davis, CVSC Advocate
- “As a legislator, I’ve witnessed the transformative impact of CVSC. Their 20-year journey signifies a persistent force that bridges party lines for the betterment of our state’s environment and the health of our communities.” – Senator Marlon Kimpson
- “Over the past two decades, CVSC has empowered citizens, transcended partisanship, and set standards for environmental action. Their innovative approach of blending grassroots advocacy with direct lobbying is a testament to their adaptability and effectiveness in shaping environmental policy in South Carolina. In fact, I have witnessed their advocacy firsthand during [SC Conservation Coalition’s] Lobby Day this April. While at the State House, I saw the Conservation Enhancement Act, which will protect our state’s natural resources and wetlands in our state, pass the House. CVSC was also instrumental in passing the Energy Freedom Act, which significantly expanded solar energy and created jobs. I know that CVSC will continue to be at the forefront of advocacy to tackle our state’s environmental challenges.” – Hirak Pati, CVSC Advocate
- “CVSC has been a leading voice in our state’s conservation movement for two decades. Their partnership encourages the notion that positive change is possible when our community comes together in the spirit of protecting the South Carolina we love.”
– Dawn Dawson-House, WeGOJA Foundation, CVSC Partner
- “I am proud to have supported CVSC for the last 20 years to protect South Carolina’s natural resources–its lands, its waters, its wildlife, and its open spaces. I am proud of the efforts of CVSC in holding our leaders accountable on environmental decisions and the successes that South Carolinians have benefited from. 20 years represent a legacy of stewardship, resilience, and unity that will continue to shape a better future for all South Carolinians.” – Jay James, Founding Board Member
The CVSC team, now nearly 20 strong, remains dedicated to the fight for 100% clean energy, the protection of 3 million acres of land and water, maintaining core environmental protections and fighting for communities’ rights to hold polluters accountable and ensuring clean and plentiful water for generations to come.
As we approach the start of 2024, marking the end of our 20th year, our eyes are set on bigger, bolder, and more impactful endeavors. Your continued support is pivotal to our success. Together, we will achieve these ambitious goals, leaving an enduring legacy for the environment and public health. Thank you for being an integral part of this fight with us. Here’s to 20 years of accomplishments and the promise of an even brighter future.
Read a full recap of this year’s progress in our 2023 Newsletter.